Sunday, May 31, 2009

It hard to say that my dads service was one of the most special times of my life. My father had brain surgeries (2), the man I knew as a child was not the one I knew as an adult. I would tell my kids of camping and trips and him paying on the floor with us. His survival questions and all the people he had influenced in his life. They were hard pressed to remember that. I felt I had grieved his death many years ago, but had not had the opportunity to see all of the man he was.
People got up and told their stories, it was amazing the lives he touched the people he brought to know the Lord, the was his generosity had touched so many. I was so grateful that the children had the chance to see all the people who talked and came to remember my dad. They were surprised and frankly so was I. I had forgotten so many of the stories and had not even heard some of them. The talking after was when I heard over and over that my dad had taught and mentored people. My sister mentioned in her talk how my dad would argue one side of the story, mostly why do you believe that, and then when you thought you had been clear he would get on the other side and argue that. He would teach you to think on your own, (which at times I think they wouldn't have been so good at teaching us that). He is the one who made me so good in emergencies. Always making us think fast. You would be driving down the highway and he would say "Your car goes in the river and you are going under water what would you do first?" It is burned on my brain all these facts.
So many told of my dads brilliance, They did not know a more well read man. He was a continuous learner.
It was refreshing to my soul to hear and see the pictures of the father I had know as a young girl. My sister did a fabulous job of getting everything together.
The church family out did themselves. Food, snacks dinners, home made everything. As a family we were just missing Monty and that was a big loss. He had had Emily come from Nigeria, and he had to stay and work. Well the babies were not here either but we were so glad for Wes and Martha to get to enjoy sitting and being with family. We all stayed on Mary Beth's house. It is a perfect home to all be together. She is just able to run things where you feel comfortable. Everyone pitches in, the kids played out Botche ball in the dark with lights hanging from the trees, and the fire pit was going. I have sute pictures of the girls not wanting to let their hair smell like fire so they put their bandanas on. The kids on the way home siad Mom that was a good time.
We came home early because the teams that Brandon and Samuel coach have made it to the play offs and they have all the games today.
Michael and Cara come home today and Hannah will be back tomorrow. My heart feels so much better to know how all the others remember him.
I will get a copy and put in the letters my sisters read, they were beautiful.

I have been loving this.
Psalms 62: 5-8 "Find rest, O my soul in God alone, my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge."
I do love that we can pour out our hearts to him. Have a blessed day. Squeeze and hug and speak the words of love.

No comments: